Heavy vehicle truck drivers are required by Heavy Vehicle National Law to keep a work diary or logbook to manage their fatigue. Traditionally this was done with a Written Work Diary, but now the NHVR has approved Quallogi as an Electronic Work Diary (EWD) for Apple IOS and Android mobile devices.
With an EWD you don't need a cumbersome book, pencil or ruler - just need an approved smart phone or tablet with the Quallogi app and it will do all the math and formatting for you.
Please note - to be compliant your device must be mounted on a cradle and connected to power while using the app.
To use the Quallogi EWD for recording work and rest times:
- Login to the Quallogi app - it can be downloaded from the Play Store or App Store. You will need data reception or wifi to login and start a shift.
- Swipe to Start a Shift. The timer will start in the background.
- Make sure EWD is selected and click Ok to continue
- Select your Driver Type (Solo of 2 Up) then click Ok
- Check that your details are correct and click Ok
- Check each box of the Driver Declaration (if the statement is true) and tap on 'Add Signature'
- Sign with your finger and click done, then click Ok
- Enter your vehicle's rego then click Ok
- Confirm or update your vehicle's rego and current location, then click Ok
- Click Ok if the shift summary looks correct (or the back arrow if you need to change any details)
- After pressing Ok for the shift Summary, you will be taken to the work timer screen. The timer will count down until you need to rest, based off your fatigue scheme. You can now start driving.
- The app will pop up with reminders when you are 45 minutes, 15 minutes and 5 minutes away from a required rest event, and the timer will turn yellow.
- Starting a rest event: When you stop driving to take a rest and your vehicle is stationary, tap on the Tap to Rest icon. Note if you do not stop to rest, a minor breach alert will appear, and the timer will turn red and start counting up.
- The rest log preview will display. You can tap to edit the location if required. If you are connected to data it will prefill.
- Be sure to update the Odometer (as this does not automatically update), by tapping on the Odometer Values box
- From the pop up, scroll each number up or down to update it to your vehicle's current Odometer reading, then press Ok to confirm.
- Press Ok when all details are updated.
- The timer will display as green and start counting up to the target rest time. The amount of time left until you can work again will also show at the bottom of the screen.
- Once you have reached your target rest, the lower Target Rest banner will disappear. tap inside the circle to start a new Work period. If you do not reach the target rest, the time will be added to your last work event, and the timer will continue for the previous work period.
- You will see the new work event details. You can update the location and odo here if required
- The timer will begin counting up again, displaying a work time relevant to your fatigue scheme.
- When you have finished your shift, tap the End Shift button at the bottom of the screen
- A summary of your last work / rest period, will appear.
Swipe down and you will see an end of shift declaration. Tap all the checkboxes then click Ok to continue.
- The next screen is a summary of the work and rest periods for the day. Click on an entry to see the details or to edit the entry. This is the last chance to edit the records for this shift. Please see the Edit EWD records article for further information on how to do this.
Click confirm to confirm these work and rest times are correct.
- Click Confirm, then a final summary will appear. Click Ok again to confirm.
- The final driver's legal declaration will appear. Read through the declaration, and swipe down. If you agree with the declaration, check the boxes and add a signature.
- Click Ok, then enter your password to logout and end your shift. This will put you into rest mode (if you were in work when you clicked 'End Shift') and bring you back to the login screen.
Through following this workflow, the app will create EWD logbook records for you, which can be exported and emailed as pdfs. So say goodbye to cumbersome Written Work Diaries!